Wikisource Contest tool version 2.2.0 is released now. It fixes up the wikitext-export feature, which makes it easy to post contest results on a wiki. Thanks to Bodhisattwa for prompting this fix.
I added a new parameter to the LinkCards extension this evening, so that it can show multiple cards on multiple lines — an image gallery, if you will. I like the built-in
<gallery>syntax, but it’s nice to be able to link to something other than the image, and people usually seem to expect to be able to click on any part of a gallery item: the image, title, or description, and that’s how LinkCards does it.
It might seem weird to make an extension to do what can pretty much be done with templates on their own, but it’s nice to be able to test locally and deploy to multiple wikis. I’m sure there’s better ways to do it, but why think too hard when there’s code waiting to be written! :-P
From Beyond the Equator: An Australian Memoir by Nicholas Hasluck:
[…] I realised that I had touched on what seemed to be a profound article of faith among the proprietors of ageing premises that the doing of repairs was never easy and not to be undertaken lightly. It was like doing battle with Fate itself. In many cases the only way to outwit or overcome the cosmic forces arrayed against the would-be repairer was a policy of masterly inaction, in the hope that the God of Small Repairs would be impressed by this and come to one’s aid.
The 5th Wikisource Triage Meeting is coming up soon. There’s a poll up now to try to figure out when to hold it.
For some reason, the Google Authenticator app has in the last year or so gone from bad to worse. It has always been annoying, with no ability to search or automatically sort the list of websites, but recently it’s started going extremely slowly. It takes something like ten seconds to start, and every interaction is similarly slow. They have at least reverted the annoying feature of hiding the codes (although if it worked faster, that would’ve been a good feature).
Anyway, enough is enough, and I’m migrating to FreeOTP+, an “enhanced fork of FreeOTP-Android providing a feature-rich 2FA authenticator”. So far, it’s brilliant. Does what it says, quickly and easily.
Of course, Google Authenticator’s frustrations don’t end here, because there’s no easy way to migrate from one to the other. (Which is another reason to use a good open source app for this, because FreeOTP+ has multiple export and import options.) So I’m reduced to doing it site by site, in most cases having to remove 2FA from a site and re-add add it with the new app. Quite silly. I’m not doing them all at once, but will keep both apps running for a while; the sites I use most often I’ve done first.
Another new MediaWiki extension this week, by Octfx:
The MultiPurge extension allows the purging of pages from multiple caches in a defined order. It was developed to allow the use-case of first purging data from a varnish cache, and then from CloudFlare.
Wikimania starts tomorrow, which is a bit exciting and a bit sad because it’s only going to be online for me (there are no local meetups planned). I’m currently trying to find a icalendar feed of the schedule, but there doesn’t seem to be one and actually it’s probably just as easy for me to copy the sessions I’m interested in to my own calendar.
Some sessions I’m interested in:
- Movement Strategy: Implementation lightning talks!
- Getting started with organising Wiki Loves Monuments
- 10 years of Wikidata - how it all started and where it’s going
- Wiki tools for Cultural Heritage Education“: an OER created by Wikimedia Chile
- How to organize a “Wiki Takes a City” event
- LinguaLibre: pivoting to diversity
And lots more, I’m sure. I’m not planning on staying up all night though!