I'm mostly an open content geek: recording all that can be in the digital memex (i.e the Wikimedia universe); mapping and walking in Fremantle (for OpenStreetMap); striving for a bit of simplicity; and now and then building bits of wooden furniture by hand.
I’m experimenting with an idea of treating the Commons copies of my photos as the ‘master’ copy, and not keeping them online anywhere else (e.g. Flickr). This involves uploading to Commons and then keeping a local copy in sync — because I don’t want to lose any photos if they get deleted from Commons.
I’m using Digikam locally, and have two collections configured: one scratch-pad one, for sorting out photos that are just off the camera; and one backup one, which lets me browse photos I’ve got on Commons.
I download from Commons with the following backup.sh script, which goes through all of my contributions and exports XML for every page I’ve worked on, and every file for which I’m the first author (i.e. I uploaded it).
The reason I want the Commons copy to be canonical is that it makes for centralised metadata, a single place to edit and add links to related material. It’s annoying to have to keep metadata in sync between Commons, Flickr, and possibly a local copy of things too.
I’m printing index sheets for the FSPS photos, so that each streets’ group of photos (e.g. Ainslie Road) in the archive folders is divided by a set of A4 colour-printed pages with thumbnails of the photos. These don’t actually have each photo’s URLs or filenames, which I’ve been a bit disappointed about, but it does have the URL of the street’s page. That is enough to get pretty close to an individual photo, and I think it’s good enough. If I were starting this project again I might do things a bit differently, but I’m far enough in now to want to maintain consistency.
I tried to write about last night at the bowling club, but the WordPress app ate my words without saving a draft. I’d had too much beer (and then mulled wine) for the words to have been any good anyway, so no matter.
I’ve started uploading a few photos to Commons, firstly of the Substation building:
And then of the bowling club.
It’s not a particularly interesting building, and none of the members I spoke to seemed very worried at its demise. The new clubhouse will be bigger and better and generally sounds more exciting.
It was lovely hanging out with the people there, and hearing their stories about the history of the club.
There’s a new MediaWiki extension that’s just been published: MediaLoader. It looks like it’s supposed to load media items such as images, videos, etc. on demand. I haven’t been able to get it to actually work (there’s some strange Composer loading stuff going on in its code) but I think it works by displaying a click-able bit of text such as ‘Load example.jpg’ (not actually a link) that, when clicked, turns into the image or whatever. All it’s doing for me right now is turning into the raw wikitext, but maybe there’s something I’m missing.
I guess the idea is to not download/display the image if its not wanted by the user?
Anyway, it’s new, and it’s always nice to see a new extension being made. Huzza!
I’ve been attempting to get some order to a little link template (and its duplicate) on MediaWiki.org, and the documentation of how to write extensions that add Revision Tags… but I’m getting the impression that there’s something I’m not understanding, so I’ll come back to it tomorrow.
It’s Tuesday morning and I seem to have stuffed around with my website yet again. Which, it turns out, might be a good thing because my little embed-wikimedia WordPress plugin might be of some use to the new Wikimedia Space blog, and I need to bring it up to date.
Heading to the airport soon, to fly to Sydney for the WMAU Community Conference. I’m looking forward to meeting new people, and finding out more about what’s going on around the country. It’s pretty rare that we all get together — it’s never happened since I’ve been involved in Wikimedia stuff. Australia’s a bit too big, really.