The latest Between the Brackets with Lucas Billett talks about using a wiki in a decades-old organisation — a factory that’s been in business for 160 years. I can’t imagine what it’s like to work in an place like that! It sounds like their use of MediaWiki is pretty interesting too.
The Wikisource discussion about curly quotes is progressing I think. I think curly quotes make works look better when exported to epub, and I read novels quite often (from Wikisource) and their punctuation often annoys me, so I hope this proposal gains more support.
I cycled to Perth yesterday, mainly as a way to stop thinking about things. I didn’t really think there would be any OSM mapping to be done on such a popular route, and there wouldn’t have been if it weren’t for the roadworks along the freeway
which forced me to cross over the overpass and ride through the streets of South Perth. The official detour ended and I could have crossed back, but I carried on… through non-cyclepaths and large detours around intersections.
I looked at the map, and it did actually look like there was a whole path along the golf course that wasn’t on the map, but actually it was added a month ago and OSMand hasn’t updated yet.
But it was interesting to see the new timber shingles being put on the Old Mill.
The internet seems to be full of bad news at the moment, so I’m ignoring it and focussing on some nice little code projects that are calming and friendly and only slightly maniacally frustrating.
SVG Translate tickets are petering out; version 0.10.3 is just out with some login fixes and language updates.
This morning I’m working on adding a ‘messages exist’ notification icon to the PageTriage toolbar.
And I think I’ve cracked the search-debouncing for my Embed Wikimedia plugin, so might be able to move on with the metadata- and appearance-improving stuff that I’ve been trying to do for weeks.
On Saturday I went to my second DDD Perth conference. This is an annual one-day event that seems to bill itself as being something different from the usual tech conference and to be more accessible to people who might not normally go to these things. Which, I reckon, is pretty great; it feels like a more friendly place (even though I am the sort of person who usually goes to these sorts of things). There is something of a corporate vibe, though, which sort of mars the ‘community’ aspect — although that’s where the low price of the tickets comes from, so I shouldn’t complain!
The welcome to country was done by Nick Abraham, who gave an interesting talk. I liked the lists that he rattled off the names of families he’s part of and places they’re from.
All of the presentations that I went to were interesting, but the two that have stuck with me were about CSS Grid (Amy Kapernick), and WebAuthn (Ben Lowry). I want to experiment with both in my personal projects. Don’t suppose I’ll do so, though. (Too many fun things to explore; not enough time.)
I’m very glad that the Perth developer community is able to support this sort of event these days.
I’m experimenting with an idea of treating the Commons copies of my photos as the ‘master’ copy, and not keeping them online anywhere else (e.g. Flickr). This involves uploading to Commons and then keeping a local copy in sync — because I don’t want to lose any photos if they get deleted from Commons.
I’m using Digikam locally, and have two collections configured: one scratch-pad one, for sorting out photos that are just off the camera; and one backup one, which lets me browse photos I’ve got on Commons.
I download from Commons with the following
backup.sh script, which goes through all of my contributions and exports XML for every page I’ve worked on, and every file for which I’m the first author (i.e. I uploaded it).
#!/bin/bash BACKUP_DIR=$(cd "$(dirname $0)"; pwd -P) mwcli export:contribs \ --config="$BACKUP_DIR/config.yml" \ --wiki=commons \ --user=samwilson \ --dest="$BACKUP_DIR" \ --only-author
mwcli script is at github.com/samwilson/mwcli
The reason I want the Commons copy to be canonical is that it makes for centralised metadata, a single place to edit and add links to related material. It’s annoying to have to keep metadata in sync between Commons, Flickr, and possibly a local copy of things too.
The old shingle roof on Finnerty Street, that was looking old a decade ago, is being replaced by new (sawn) shingles.
I’m printing index sheets for the FSPS photos, so that each streets’ group of photos (e.g. Ainslie Road) in the archive folders is divided by a set of A4 colour-printed pages with thumbnails of the photos. These don’t actually have each photo’s URLs or filenames, which I’ve been a bit disappointed about, but it does have the URL of the street’s page. That is enough to get pretty close to an individual photo, and I think it’s good enough. If I were starting this project again I might do things a bit differently, but I’m far enough in now to want to maintain consistency.
I do want to sort out a better URL rewrite for page IDs. At the moment I am including page ID URLs such as https://archives.org.au/Special:Redirect/page/1100 but this would be neater as https://archives.org.au/P1100 (which would prohibit having wiki pages at that URL, but I think that’s okay).