The Fremantle Society AGM is on tomorrow evening at Victoria Hall, from 6PM. There’s going to be a ballot for the position of president, which should be fun. I shall be voting for Henty Farrar.
I’ll post the Freopedia map that we’ve been working on, tomorrow.
The first of the November wiki-Tuesdays this evening. Four of us, and a few new articles created. No power points! But perhaps that’ll be recified by next week.
The Fremantle Society AGM was held last night, at FTI. Always inspiring to talk to people (before and after the meeting) about why they care about Freo. Perhaps less so concerning some of the discussions (during the meeting) — that seem at times to be more about people airing their personal gripes than working for any common good. Ah well.
It was my last meeting as minute-taker (I’m off the Committee now) and I’m looking forward to getting stuck in to things like scanning the 1978 photographic survey prints and getting them online, and helping Fremantle in whatever other geeky way I might.
Now then, who’s up for a coffee-powered occupation of that debacle of a scaffold that’s been dumped on the lazing ground of the World’s End Cafe?
We had a great gathering last night at Little Creatures to talk about FreoWiki (including what to call it; one suggestion is GoFreo). Some topics…
- It’s all set up and good to go, at http://freo.org.au/;
- The site overall is licenced under CC Attribution 2.5 Australia, but people can put whatever licences they want on individual pages or media;
- Some ideas are being bounced around about alternatives to FreoWiki as a name;
- The Fremantle Herald might be interested in adding their archival content to FreoWiki—at the moment they’re only keeping the four most recent editions on their site, and we could host a complete archive;
- Personal, first-person content is desirable: people’s recollections of Fremantle, or visions for its future;
- The entry page needs to look good, and (visually) convey what it’s all about;
- We’ll make cards to hand out to people, with some small bit of info about FreoWiki, and a URL with a blank after it (i.e.
freo.org.au/_____________) in which we can write the name of the page that we’re suggesting people use; e.g. to a business owner, with the name of their business (then we scurry home and quickly add some content to that page);
- Good thought needs to be given to ways of ensuring longevity of the project (if it takes off), both technical (backups etc.) and organisational;
- We should enable using media from Commons (already done);
- Plus lots of other stuff that I can’t right now remember!
So now it’s time to start adding content! :-) The easy bit, really.