Every now and then I recap on where and what I store online. Today I do so again, while I’m rather feeling that there should be discrete and specific tools for each of the things.
Firstly there are the self-hosted items:
- WordPress for blogging (where photo and file attachments should be customized to the exact use in question, not linked from external sites). Is also my OpenID provider.
- Piwigo as the primary location for all photographs.
- MoonMoon for feed reading (and, hopefully one day, archiving).
- MediaWiki for family history sites that are closed-access.
- My personal DokuWiki for things that need to be collaboratively edited.
Then the third-party hosts:
- OpenStreetMap for map data (GPX traces) and blogging about map-making.
- Wikimedia Commons for media of general interest.
- The NLA’s Trove for correcting newspaper texts.
- Wikisource as a library.
- Twitter (although I’m not really sure why I list this here at all).
Finally, I’m still trying to figure out the best system for:
- Public family history research. There’s some discussion about this on Meta.