I'm mostly an open content geek: recording all that can be in the digital memex (i.e the Wikimedia universe); mapping and walking in Fremantle (for OpenStreetMap); striving for a bit of simplicity; and now and then building bits of wooden furniture by hand.
I cycled to Perth yesterday, mainly as a way to stop thinking about things. I didn’t really think there would be any OSM mapping to be done on such a popular route, and there wouldn’t have been if it weren’t for the roadworks along the freeway
which forced me to cross over the overpass and ride through the streets of South Perth. The official detour ended and I could have crossed back, but I carried on… through non-cyclepaths and large detours around intersections.
I looked at the map, and it did actually look like there was a whole path along the golf course that wasn’t on the map, but actually it was added a month ago and OSMand hasn’t updated yet.
But it was interesting to see the new timber shingles being put on the Old Mill.
I shouldn’t let it bother me, but articles like this about map vandalism annoy me. It wasn’t a “hack”, it wasn’t unusual (although normally vandalism doesn’t make it so far downstream), and the data originated from OpenStreetMap (who explained it all yesterday).
We went for a walk the other day along the north bank of the river, so see what’s where and which bit is which.
The most interesting bit was the terrific adventure playground. Unfortunately I was too busy swinging on the rope swing to take any photos. It’s pretty encouraging that kids these days are still allowed to muck around with bits of wood and climb things and generally come into contact with the grubby and rough.
After that it was up and past the old CSR sugar refinery site in Mosman Park. There’s hardly any trace left of the place; it’s been completely replaced by a housing estate, but the old weighbridge deck has been kept and is embedded into the central road of the estate:
Beyond there, it was to Green Reserve, past the nice beach on the point.
Today I joined the OSM Foundation. I think I must be on an organisation-joining spree, what with paying my dues to WMUK last month. It’s just a matter of showing support though, and wanting to give a tiny bit to the groovy people who enable my various geeky hobbies.
It really matters, I think, that there are organisations like this, working for the general good of all people.
It’s 2016 and it seems like a good time to attempt some new type of explanation of things. Things in general, I mean, and things internety. Or, maybe not ‘explanation’ so much as formless rambling. That’s easier on the brain, given the amount of sleep I’ve been getting (i.e. sod all).
I’m four days in to the new working year, and some good bits of code are already shaping up (file attachment fields and schema-editing in Tabulate, hopefully both ready to roll before too much longer). Some odd bits of enterprise bureaucracy have nearly fallen on my head but for the most part missed me (whereon I’ve attempted the old I-didn’t-see-anything trick, and carried on regardless).
I had a couple of weeks off, and explored some great bits of the south west. So nice to be back at Wilyabrup (not climbing, just looking, and some mapping). And I didn’t even take my GPS to Walpole; good to be not attempting to Record Everything for a while.
Things for this year, perhaps: Wikisource proofreading; importing Nyunga words into Wiktionary; carry on with Tabulate; print CFB at long last; go to Wikimania; try to write every day; get MoonMoon working again properly for Planet Freo. But mostly: stop re-evaluating everything and just get on with what’s (reasonably and probably not perfectly) good enough and worthwhile. Code less! Work on content and data more; code only what’s required.
I’ve just realeased version 1.0.0 of Tabulate, a WordPress plugin for working with data in a site’s MySQL database. I’ve been using it for a few months in production, and the shift from 0.* to 1.0 was fairly arbitrary — it just seemed stable enough now. The new feature that got included in this release is the ability to export to OpenStreetMap XML (not a great leap ahead of the KML export that was already done).
Any problems with Tabulate can be lodged on the issue tracker at Github, or on the normal WordPress support forum.
Here’s a suburb’s worth of power pole locations, exported from Tabulate and opened in JOSM:
OpenStreetMap is run and supported by volunteers like you. With more and more people helping to make great maps, we need bigger and faster servers to keep up with the demand. If you enjoy using or contributing to OpenStreetMap, please consider making a donation.
The Openstreetmap has just undergone a major change, in the form of the removal of all contributions by people who did not agree to the new licence (or the change of the licence; or something like that). I’ve been tinkering around my area, replacing missing bits. Very often, it’s quite easy to put the roads back thanks to all the GPS traces — as at left, with Hamilton Road.